UK Printing – Economic importance, productivity, effectiveness and sustainability.
It’s almost impossible to imagine a world without print. It’s all around us and plays a vital role in our daily lives.
Print is an important vehicle for advertising, education, entertainment and information. It serves all parts of the UK economy – including central and local government, financial services, retailing, distribution, travel and tourism and manufacturing industries.
Using data from a wide range of official sources, the British Printing Industries Federation (BPIF) has published UK printing – the facts and figures 2019. This covers information on the structure of the print industry by region and product, as well as covering its economic importance and its productivity. It also highlights the effectiveness and sustainability of print as a modern communications medium.
DID YOU KNOW THE UK PRINT SECTOR…
- The UK is the fifth largest producer of printed products in the world
- Printed matter contributed £742 million to the UK’s balance of trade in 2018
- Has a turnover of £14 billion
- Has 112,000 employees
- Consists of 8,000 companies
- Has a gross added value of £5.5 billion
- Made a P.A. capital investment of £650 million in 2018