Impress are firmly committed to reducing our environmental impact, increasing our positive social impact, being a good employer and driving sustainable, profitable growth.
GOING GREEN MAKES GOOD BUSINESS SENSE…
It makes sense to reduce waste and recycle more. We want to play our part in protecting our planet, but we also know it’s good business logic. Our environmental policies work because we use fewer resources which equals less waste. As a result, we are able to keep our prices competitive and consistently improve our efficiency.
We are accredited with the environmental standard ISO 14001 and we go far beyond its requirements.
A CARBON BALANCED PUBLICATION PRINTER
Impress are proud to be one of only a handful of Carbon Balanced Publication Printers in the country.
Over the last 12 months, Impress have helped protect more than 41,000 square metres of high value conservation land with the World Land Trust. This is the equivalent to 5 football pitches or taking 125 average petrol cars off the road each year.
To learn more about our partner, World Land Trust, their Carbon Balance Programme and amazing conservation projects please click on the video links below…
Our Carbon Balanced page has more information about how we can help you reduce your carbon footprint.
A SNAPSHOT OF WHAT WE ARE DOING…
We work relentlessly to review our processes and introduce ways to improve on what we print, how we print it and keep our carbon footprint to a minimum.
- We recycle the majority of our waste streams
- Our house paper is a quality sheet which is chlorine and acid free, recyclable, FSC® certified and Carbon Balanced
- We use vegetable oil based inks
- We conserve water
- We work to continually reduce our landfill waste
- Ensure low levels of industrial alcohol used in the print process
- We have switched our energy supply to use 100% renewable source electricity
- Constantly monitor our energy consumption use
- Our energy use is mapped against machine impressions for accurate efficiency assessment
- Journeys are carefully planned for efficiency
- We run the ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme and actively encourage all staff to get on their bike!
- We help our customers to reduce the carbon impacts of their marketing communications and helping them meet their carbon reduction objectives
- Sharing knowledge and understanding of print related environmental or ‘Green’ terminology, see ‘Environmental Lingo’
… But we’re not done yet!
NO TIME TO WASTE…
We are proud of how we organise our waste and consumption of resources and ensure whatever cannot be recycled is either reused, recovered or disposed of responsibly.
A few examples of our innovative recycling streams are:
- Plastic chemical drums are sorted into reusable or damaged drums
- Damaged drums are shredded and re-used in items such as motorway drainage pipes
- Larger drums are converted to use as ink funnels to aid the recycling of inks
- Residue inks are used as fuel to start blast furnaces or as low grade fuel
- Our aluminium plates are melted down and re-used as raw material
We also recycle our plastics, light tubes, ink cartridges, ink tins, …in fact, everything we can really!
The paper industry has come on leaps and bounds over the last few decades and paper is now one of the most renewable and sustainable raw materials there is.
Impress select papers to produce excellent, professional print results, and we aim to assist and inspire print buyers to make that ‘green’ choice, visit our ‘Environmental Paper’ page to find out how…
GIVING BACK TO OUR COMMUNITIES
We recognise that working closely with colleagues and the community to engage on energy efficiency is key to reducing our carbon footprint. In addition to the above initiatives we are proud to volunteer our support to some great projects. Visit our ‘Supporting Communities‘ page to find out how we make a difference…